Nordic Skating diary
Condition of our long nordic skating track may change rapidly, even during the same day. During winter, the tracks are maintained every day before 10 am (outside heavy snowfall days/extreme conditions). Usually skating tracks opens end of December/start of January and closes around end of March.
25.11. looks very promising
Steady, freezing temperatures now and forecasted - lakes are beginning to freeze and enough ice may become rapidly. It helps greatly that there is no snow yet.
If things continue this way, we can start exploring the ice thickness during next week and start preparing safe skating ways to start the season before mid december!
22.11.2022 Waiting for the NEW season
Waiting for the skating season! On this page updates will be written when start of season approaches. Previous diarys and statistics of maintenance below.
At the moment we have cold temperatures in Punkaharju and are awaiting the first snows, hopefully we get a early start for skating and skiing season! Lakes are not yet frozen, but forecast looks quite good and cold for the following 10 days.
Skating diary of past winters
Mostly regarding nordic skating tracks, but also information about cross-country skiing and other routes.
- Skating diary of 2021-2022 winter
- Skating diary of 2020-2021 kept only in finnish
- Skating diary of 2019-2020 winter
- Skating diary of 2018-2019 winter
- Skating diary of 2017-2018 winter
- Skating diary 2015-2016 and 2016-2017
Lenghts of past seasons
- 2021-2022: Start 23.12.2022, end of maintenance early April
- 2020-2021: Start 8.1.2021, end of maintenance was end of March
- 2019-2020: Start 1.1.2020, end of maintenance was Mid March
- 2018-2019: Start 12.12.2018, end of maintenance Mid March
- 2017-2018: Start 12.1.2018, end of maintenance early April
- 2016-2017: Start 19.12, end of maintenance Mid March.
- 2015-2016: Start 29.12., end of maintenance end of March
- 2012-2013: Start 28.12., end of maintenance early April